All right Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up

16 July 2011

SPARKling-Matchbook Magazine


 Maybe it is my age, or maybe it is visual overload, or perhaps it is just that the world has become too noisy for me.  Everywhere I look these days there seems to be "stuff" not style-very little charm and certainly no grace.  I am a magazine hound and have been coveting my issues of Vogue and Town and Country and Harper's Bazaar since I was 12 -though these are still favorites, and I hope they never disappear, I have to say any new publications that have made it to the stands just don't inspire- I find I flip through with boredom-doesn't everything from the ads to the editorials look the same!  They are just not speaking to me. They are not reflecting in the least the things I love or the creative, chic style that I want to see.  I'm not walking a red carpet anytime soon and frankly rarely care who is--their style is not my style and it is all paint and puff.  Where is the fun?  Where is the joy?  Where is the charm?


Found it!  Matchbook was launched in January as a digital publication and defines itself as a "Field Guide to a Charmed Life"---
The matchbook girl...views the world through rose colored glasses • loves to throw dinner parties, but has been known to burn the roast • values eccentricity over convention • is the first to laugh at her own bad jokes • knows the cha-cha, the charleston, and the tango • paints her nails bright coral when she's feeling blue • is infinitely curious • could happily live off of red velvet cake • pens hand written notes to her grandmother • has a signature shade of lipstick • secretly thinks she may be babe paley reincarnated • received an iPAD for her birthday, but will never give up her library card • has a bucket list a mile long and dreams a dime a dozen • is smart, but never a show-off • listens to the day's forecast, but trusts her own intuition • never says no to a sunday matinee at the theater • is quick to blush, but never short of a witty reply • has a skip in her step and a twinkle in her eye • always shares her last piece of gum


I have said this before I never thought I would be reading, and enjoying, magazines on my laptop- yet here I am sitting and watching my inbox for each new issue of Lonny, Laura Day Living and now Matchbook.  The really interesting thing about Matchbook for me is that its founders and guiding girls-Katie Armour and Jane Lilly Warren, are young creative bloggers who are obviously utilizing new technology to share their fresh eye for everything wonderful, but there is a reverence, an appreciation, respect and sincere adoration for what has come before -classic, elegant, style that of course also charms and delights and the pages of Matchbook are filled with what a "Matchbook Girl" loves,covets and celebrates.


Of course there is a bow to Audrey,Grace,Jackie,Grace, and Lilly and Kate- but if you seek timeless style that inspires and lifts your spirit that is where you start!  Crisp stripes, gingham, dots, ballet flats, trench coats, pearls...
 Matchbook celebrates the classics with a dash and a twist of the new and the now. Each monthly issue applauds the past and the present in fashion, decor, the arts, travel and culture as it "... seeks to inspire women around the globe to design a life they adore. From lipstick to letterpress, gelato to grosgrain, and Paris to Peru..."


This Matchbook Girl is charmed and looks forward to the next issue!